I want to go outside and dance in the snow! Instead, I’m writing a new blog post.
Happy birthday to me! Today is my first day as a 54-year-old woman. Yes, 54, and you know what? I’m feeling fine and fabulous, darlin’! So fine and so fabulous that it’s hard to contain my giddiness. What a journey it’s been so far! Blessed…
Looking back, I’ve had some good years and some not so good years…and just like everyone else, I am still growing and learning. Right now, I’m more comfortable with myself than any time I can remember.
Truth be told, I spent most of my 20’s, 30’s, and 40’s in a whirl. Trying to be the best mother I could be, the best wife I could be; while at the same time, impatiently chasing one goal after another. It seems I was always trying to get to the next thing that would make me feel like my life had value.
The last few years, I’ve been in crash and burn mode and I guess I had to go there to get here. I can’t say I have it all figured out, but I’ve learned a few things along the way. So, on this 23rd day of January, I’m offering 23 bits of wisdom to ponder:
- Loving yourself is the most important thing you can do in this life. And it’s the only way to know how to truly love someone else.
- Everyone is trying to get over childhood stuff and everyone has issues. Show compassion for yourself and others.
- Hate is a violent, self-destructive act. Never hate anyone or anything.
- You really do control your own destiny. The only thing that ever keeps you from living the life you want is your own fear.
- Trying to please other people is a waste of time and energy. Never compromise who you are to make someone else happy. You can’t really make someone else happy anyway. That’s their responsibility.
- Sooner or later, you have to learn to not give a fuck what people think of you. (see #2)
- Never hurt anyone else. You really hurt yourself in the process.
- Don’t think negative thoughts about yourself. You’ll only attract unhappy people who can’t wait to join you in putting you down.
- We are powerful spirit beings living in a system that has been designed to take that power away. Know who you really are and free yourself.
- Question everything. No one has it all figured out. There is no “expert” on this thing called life.
- Watching TV is a waste of time. It saps your mental energy, creativity, and enthusiasm for life.
- Eating real food, drinking clean water, and getting the right amounts of physical activity and sleep are necessities for a good life.
- Music is the most natural way to bliss. It connects you to the rhythm of the universe and feeds your soul.
- Doing what brings you joy is your right and duty. Never do something just for money. You will never have enough money or things to fill the void created by not living your truth.
- All organized religions are based on lies. Many find comfort in those lies.
- You are a unique being with unique gifts for this world. Your purpose in this life is to become aware of your gifts and find a way to share them.
- You really do get what you think you deserve. Never settle for less than an abundant life.
- Put your whole self, heart and soul, into everything you choose to do. There are already too many people in this world trying to bullshit their way through.
- If you find that you have more integrity than the people you associate with, find different people to associate with.
- The truth really does set you free. Don’t lie to anyone, including yourself.
- Don’t give your energy to anything that will create a negative experience for another human being.
- It may take many years, but eventually, you will see the value in yourself and you will know why you are here. When you get to that place, the game changes.
- Most important: Life is short and those years fly by. Enjoy the fucking ride!
“These Are the Days”: